This gluten-free and grain-free dessert is made with a ground pecan crust, which ensures it bakes up soft and tender, yet maintains its shape even after it is sliced. If you would like to get the best results, you should chill the pie until it is cold before cutting it.
The creamy butternut custard of this recipe is a delicious way to use winter squash on your Thanksgiving table, one that you didn't think you would need until now!
- 1½ cups pecan halves
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. real maple syrup
- 2 c. cooked butternut squash, mashed
- 3 eggs
- 1 c. unsweetened plain almond milk
- ½ c. real maple syrup
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. fine sea salt
- ½ tsp. grated nutmeg
- ½ c. additional finely chopped pecan halves for topping
- In a food processor, grind 1½ cups pecan halves until somewhat finely chopped.
- To the chopped almonds in the food processor, add 1 Tbsp. coconut oil and 1 Tbsp. real maple syrup. Pulse until combined with the ground pecans.
- Remove the pecan mixture from the food processor and firmly press the mixture onto the bottom of an oiled pie plate. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a food processor, combine all pie filling ingredients and puree until smooth.
- Pour filling over pie crust.
- Bake in 350° F. preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- While pie is baking, finely chop ½ cup additional pecan halves.
- After baking for 30 minutes, remove pie from oven and top the outside edges of the custard in the pie pan with the additional ½ cup finely chopped pecan halves.
- Return to 350° F. oven and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. For best results, let pie cool at room temperature and then chill in
refrigerator thoroughly, at least 2 hours, before cutting and serving.
- Ice cream or whipped cream makes a perfect garnish for this dessert.
With a satisfying amount of sweetness as well as a perfect amount of pecan pie topping, this pie is sure to satisfy anyone’s taste buds. You will surely enjoy serving this for your Thanksgiving meal, or for any occasion that calls for a delicious, comforting dessert. There’s nothing better than vanilla ice cream to go with it.